Thursday, June 30, 2011

June's Cupcake Of The Month: Lemon Meringue


Inspired by the cupcakes one can find in San Francisco's Cako and pushed by my love for all things citrus-y, I decided to finally make some of my own!

Since lemon meringue is one of the very few desserts I actually crave, I have a feeling I'll be making these often. After all, I'd much rather spend a couple hours in the kitchen than I would spending a couple hours driving somewhere just for some cupcakes.

The Ingredients (makes 1 dozen):
For the cupcakes:
-recipe can be found here
For the filling:
-1 egg
-1 yolk
-juice of 1 lemon
-1/2 cup butter
-1/2 cup sugar
For the frosting:
-3 egg whites
-1/2 cup sugar

The Directions:
1. Bake cupcakes as directed by the recipe.
2. Beat the egg and yolk in a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Then beat in the juice, butter and sugar. Stir over medium heat until it reaches the consistency of pudding. Set aside and allow to cool (curd will thicken as it sits).
3. Beat the sugar and the egg whites until the sugar is completely dissolved and firm peaks form.
4. Using a paring knife, cut out a small hole at the top of your cupcake and fill with the lemon curd.
5. When you are ready to serve, frost cupcakes with the meringue and
...if you have a torch: lightly torch the top of the meringue.
...if you are torchless: turn on the broiler to medium-high heat and put the cupcakes under the broiler for a minute or two. Do not walk away from it!
6. Consume and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love how pretty they look, like little yummy clouds. :)

    ReplyDelete