Unfortunately, I couldn't really taste the rum in the cake or the frosting, which is why I'm calling these Almost-Mojito Cupcakes. But the overall product still came out mighty tasty, if I do say so myself. Plus, I have some leftover cream cheese frosting now that I will probably turn into a mini lime cheesecake within the next few days. Yum.
The Ingredients (makes 1 dozen):
For the cupcakes:
-1 cup milk
-1 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
-the juice and zest of one lime
-3/4 cup sugar
-5 tsp dark rum
-1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
For the frosting:
-8 oz cream cheese, softened
-1 cup powdered sugar or to taste, sifted
-5 tsp dark rum
-2 tsp lime juice
-1/2 the zest of one lime
-limes and mint to garnish (optional)
1. Heat up the milk and mint until hot but not boiling. Take it off the heat and allow to steep for about 15 minutes.
2. Strain the leaves out of the milk, making sure to push on the mint to extract as much oil as possible. Set aside and allow to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line your cupcake pan.
4. Whisk lime juice into the milk and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
5. In your mixing bowl, combine sugar and lime zest and muddle together to infuse the oils into the sugar.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
7. Add the milk, vegetable oil and rum to the lime sugar and mix thoroughly.
8. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in increments, mixing until just combined and scraping the bowl between each addition. Fill cupcake liners and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Rotate pan about halfway through to ensure even baking. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
9. Cream the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
10. Beat in the rum and lime juice until well combined. Mix in the zest until it appears even throughout the frosting. Refrigerate if not using it in less than an hour.
11. Frost the cupcakes and garnish as you please.
12. Consume and enjoy!