My finished product is a little darker than what I wanted and what I usually end up with but that was entirely my fault. I used a different pan than I would normally use, which made the batter spread out thinner, so I forgot that it'd take less time to finish baking. The inside should be more of a golden-yellow color, not brown like mine.
*Special thanks to my friend,Thao, for taking all the pictures featured in this post. All two hundred of them that I had to look at and filter out.*
For the cake:
-1 cup butter, softened
-1 tbsp vegetable oil
-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-2 cups flour
-1 tbsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-1 cup milk
-1/2 cup blueberries, tossed in 1 tsp flour (if you're using frozen, keep in the freezer until needed or the berries could stain your cake)
For the topping:
-1/2 cup blueberries
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cream butter and sugars. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and the paddle.
3. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda.
4. Add the oil and eggs one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture, beating each one until just incorporated, and scraping the bowl and paddle after each.
5. Reduce speed and add in 1/3 of the dry mixture (no need for formalities, just eyeball it.) Scrape.
6. Making sure to scrape and mix well between each addition, add 1/2 the milk, then another 1/3 of the dry, the rest of the milk, and finally the rest of the dry ingredients.
7. Fold in the blueberries that have been tossed in flour.
8. Pour batter into a baking pan that has been greased and dusted with flour. Use a spatula to spread and even out the batter.
9. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together.
10. Sprinkle the second 1/2 cup of blueberries over the top of the batter, then follow with the cinnamon sugar.
11. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes. It's best to check on it about 20 minutes in to rotate as well as to check how far along it's baked so far, that way, you can better judge how much more time is needed.
12. Consume and enjoy!